Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: Eye Candy by Tera Lynn Childs


Synopsis
Every Girl Deserves Something Sweet…

Lydia Vanderwalk has an obsession with candy, so when she invents an NEB (non-existent boyfriend) who turns out to be the male hire-a-date equivalent of a jumbo box of Hot Tamales she knows she’s in trouble.

Lydia has worked hard to have the right job, the right wardrobe, and the right everything else, in the quest for the appearance of perfection. When she needs her NEB for a golden career opportunity, she enlists a talent agent friend’s help to produce perfect date Phelps. He was supposed to be pure eye candy, but there’s more going on beneath the surface than Red Hots looks and Pop Rocks spontaneity.

Throw in a banking wunderkind ex-fiancé, a trio of cutthroat couture-climbers, and a designer of questionable orientation and origin, and Lydia soon learns that what you see is often much less than what you get when it comes to people and not everything in life can be solved by a Jolly Rancher and a shopping spree.



My Rating
4
My Review
Eye Candy is a romance that's just as sweet and addicting as candy, without the high sugar content and probability of leading to a stomach ache with large doses. I was able to devour this novel in one sitting, falling in love with the fun, witty dialogue and steamy romance.

The writing of Eye Candy is fun and light, and very easy to enjoy. Although the amount of candy references and puns seemed a bit cheesy at times, I really enjoyed what this addiction added to Lydia's character and how she grows throughout the duration of the story.

I loved the settings of the story. Whether it be New York, Milan or SoHo, the bloodthirsty glamor of the high fashion industry was ever present, and made for excellent reading. The independent woman trying to make her way up a career ladder can be a cliche in romance novels and movies alike, but the characterization and  use of fashion industry didn't seem stale in this read.

Although the plot was fun, a lot of it was a bit predictable. I can't really complain, because I wanted it to end the way it did, and sometimes - as a reader, I can use a good happy ending. 

Still, like most romances, my favorite part of the novel were the characters. I could go on and on about how Franco's artiste-ness made me smile, or how I loved Fiona as a friend, but given that I like to keep my reviews under the length of a short story, I'll only talk about two of the characters.

First of all, Lydia is a great protagonist. She's likeable, funny, and sweet as the candy she enjoys. As a reader, I couldn't help but want her to find that happily ever after romance novels tend to promise. Although, for a bit, she fell into the love V trap, she released how unfair she's being, instead of simply cursing the heavens that she has two wonderful guys into her. It makes the situation feel a lot more natural, and didn't have me getting annoyed with her.

But, speaking of hot Tamales, Phelps is that summer book boyfriend that you're looking for. Not only is he a male model who's fun, spontaneous and confident (you know you love the adorably cocky type) but he has a great heart. Just about everything you could ask for in a romantic lead.

Eye Candy is fun, flirty and absolutely delicious. It is a perfect light summer read to bring along on the beach, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment