Monday, March 24, 2014

Review: Ethereal Fury (Gemini Rising #1) By Jessica O'Gorek


Synopsis

BEWARE! THE PLANET IS WOUNDED... THE GEMINI ARE RISING AND OUR TIME ON EARTH IS LIMITED

Angry at the human race and its methodical destruction of her resources, Mother Earth recruits souls who have just left their bodies to serve Her, and turns them against humanity. Gemini, a clan of paranormal beings, picked from these possessed humans, emerges. A powerful, rising force proceeds to carry out Mother Nature’s plan to systematically destroy towns, cities, states… and eventually, the world. Amidst the chaos, a forbidden relationship between a human girl, Violette, and Onyx, a lead Gemini, begins. They will both find themselves in the middle of a revolutionary war that will either save, or destroy our world.

My Rating
4
My Review

Ethereal Fury is a beautiful novel with gorgeous imagery and a great pacing that will entrance readers throughout the entire ride. An excellent beginning to a series, I am excited to see what else the author has in store. It is the kind of novel that readers can devour in one sitting, even if it takes up a large portion of their day and they really should be doing other things.
The storyline of Ethereal Fury is very unique and captivating. It almost seems to shift gears after the first two chapters, which were a bit slow, but then picks up very quickly. The novel does not go back into the Gemini very much after the beginning, and I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing. On one hand, it would be interesting to get a deeper look into the Gemini and their plans, but on the other, I was much more engrossed in the specific story of Onyx.

Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the plot and the way that it kept pushing forward. Once the story picked up, it really didn't fall flat again. The setting of the cult-like church and orphanage created a wonderfully dark tone that only added to my interest.

I've always held a love for characters with a dark side, and I couldn't get enough of Onyx. He had to struggle to maintain control of himself, especially around Violette, which made for a highly interesting internal battle. If someone were to just tell me about Violette's character in black and white terms, I probably would have made the assumption that I didn't like her. However, upon reading Ethereal Fury, I discovered that she is very complex, with layers of frailty and strength, and has a relatable personality that makes for a wonderful character. 

The romance of Ethereal Fury is up there with my all-time favorites. I'm not sure if it is the forbidden and dark nature of Onyx and Violette together or something else entirely, but the relationship between them is both sweet and seductive, and readers can practically feel the intoxication.

Ethereal Fury will take readers on a wonderfully dark journey all the way to the abrupt cliffhanger of an ending. The progression of the story and the characters, especially Violette, impressed me and I can't wait to discover what will come next.

 

1 comment:

  1. Love this review, thanks so much for taking the time to read my book!!!

    ReplyDelete