Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Review: Unbound by Georgia Bell

 
Synopsis
 
After her father dies, Rachel realizes she is scared and stuck. Scared of heights, of cars, of disasters harming the people she loves. Stuck in a life that is getting smaller by the minute. Stuck with a secret she has kept all her life: Someone has been watching over her since birth. Someone who tends to show up when she needs him the most. Someone she believes is her guardian angel.

Eaden is a 1,500-year-old immortal who wants to die. Drained by a life stretched too thin, he has requested his final reward – a mortal sacrifice bred specifically to bring him death. But something went wrong. Rachel’s ability to grant death has mutated in ways that threaten to upset the uneasy alliance between mortals and immortals. And utterly beguiled, Eaden discovers that although Rachel is the key to his death, because of her, he no longer wants to die. And he will do anything to protect her.

Swept into a world of legends, caught between the warring political factions of immortals, and carrying the future of mortal kind in her flesh and bone, Rachel must risk everything to save her world and the man she loves.
 
 
My Rating
 
5
 
My Review
 
Unbound captivates from the very first chapter, engaging readers in a breathtaking romance and suspenseful plot. I could not put down the novel until I finished reading the last page and - even now - I cannot wait for more.  

This is not your average romance. In many ways, it's better. It does have everything you look for in a romance: awesome female, swoon-worthy male, heartwarming dialogue, steamy makeouts, but it also has so much more, like a strong plot that incorporates elements of other genres, excellent pacing, and a downright addictive quality.

I can't, however, allow myself to simply mention how much I loved the characters in passing. I can relate to Rachel. She's strong, even if she doesn't quite realize it all the time. She's brave, even if she's still afraid. She's suffered, but that doesn't stop her from hoping. Plus, she's a mild introvert who loves reading and I can definitely respect that. (Is it just be or do bookworm characters give you a warm, fuzzy feeling?) It's really unfortunate when I get annoyed with the female protagonist, and it was refreshing to find the exact opposite.

Eaden is so much more than a cool name. Not only does he prove that chivalry is not dead (I mean, he was practically around when it started) but any guy who takes a girl to a Shakespeare play for a first date is a complete gem in my book. Not to mention, he has some lines that make the romantic in me faint a few times over. In a good way.

The romance (at least, on one side) does happen a bit quickly, but I really didn't mind it. It's fiction, if I want to believe that falling quickly in love can happen, I'm going to do so. Besides, it gives a sense of magic and urgency, almost the kind of Romeo and Juliet addictive romance. (I'm just comparing the actual feel of the romance here, not the characters, plot, or anything like that.)

Speaking of the plot, it will keep readers turning pages until they happen to glance at the clock and realize they should have gone to bed three hours ago (and then proceed to finish). Some of the twists really took me by surprise, and even if there wasn't a whole lot of action in one sense, the action in the other sense, suspenseful discoveries and brilliant writing kept the story moving alone.

I highly enjoyed Unbound and can't wait to see what's next for Rachel and Eaden.

No comments:

Post a Comment