Sunday, January 12, 2014

Review: Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold by Iain Reading


Synopsis: 
Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is the thrilling first installment in a new series of adventure mystery stories that are one part travel, one part history and five parts adventure. This first book of the Kitty Hawk Flying Detective Agency Series introduces Kitty Hawk, an intrepid teenage pilot with her own De Havilland Beaver seaplane and a nose for mystery and intrigue. A cross between Amelia Earhart, Nancy Drew and Pippi Longstocking, Kitty is a quirky young heroine with boundless curiosity and a knack for getting herself into all kinds of precarious situations.

After leaving her home in the western Canadian fishing village of Tofino to spend the summer in Alaska studying humpback whales Kitty finds herself caught up in an unforgettable adventure involving stolen gold, devious criminals, ghostly shipwrecks, and bone-chilling curses. Kitty's adventure begins with the lingering mystery of a sunken ship called the Clara Nevada and as the plot continues to unfold this spirited story will have armchair explorers and amateur detectives alike anxiously following every twist and turn as they are swept along through the history of the Klondike Gold Rush to a suspenseful final climatic chase across the rugged terrain of Canada's Yukon, the harsh land made famous in the stories and poems of such writers as Jack London, Robert Service and Pierre Berton. It is a riveting tale that brings to glorious life the landscape and history of Alaska's inside passage and Canada's Yukon, as Kitty is caught up in an epic mystery set against the backdrop of the scenery of the Klondike Gold Rush.

Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is a perfect book to fire the imagination of readers of all ages. Filled with fascinating and highly Google-able locations and history this book will inspire anyone to learn and experience more for themselves as Kitty prepares for her next adventure - flying around the world!


My Rating: 4

My Review:

Adventurers and adventurers-at-heart, grab your gear and get ready, because Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold is a must-read. 
I admit, from the title alone, I was a little afraid that I'd end up reading a slighly-cheesy mystery. However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that, instead, I had gotten my hands on a true YA adventure that soared right over any expectations. I've always thought of myself as having an adventurous spirit, and although I'm currently trapped in a suburban town and high school, this novel helped tame my thirst for adventure a tad bit. 

From the very first page, I was immersed in the story. Pilots are a weak spot for me, so I automatically fell in love with the story for having a fun protagonist who's born to fly. Kitty's voice is light, humorous and very easy to relate to. I immediately felt like I was part of the adventure (luckily, I have just the right bomber jacket...) and dove right in. Kitty is spirited and passionate about what she does, which are very positive traits in a character.

I was not suspected all the turns in Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold. While reading, I couldn't bother to try to make predictions about the next couple of chapters, I was so caught up in the present. There's just enough action to keep interest during every scene. Even in times without a possible elevated heart rate, I remained intrigued. The history buff in me absolutely loved the stories within the story. (I really don't hear enough campfire stories in reality.)

Whether Kitty was actually studying the humpback whales (as intended) or finding herself in the middle of a dark adventure involving betrayal and cursed gold, I was in for the ride. Regardless of how you'd feel about taking off on an adventure, Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold definitely deserves a chance. I can't wait to continue with the series (and hope to see more of Charlie in it).

1 comment:

  1. I loved reading your review of Kitty Hawk and the Curse of the Yukon Gold. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book!

    ReplyDelete