Sunday, May 5, 2013

Review: Thief by Sarah-Jane Lehoux

*Note: This is the first blog of the book tour that I am participating in, so be sure to check out my last post if you have not already!

Okay, before I actually give my little review, I have a note to say. I am not going to post the written synopsis for this novel. I did not read the synopsis before I read it, and doing so allowed me to have my heart shocked, torn out, and stomped on. I feel that, even though it only happens before the halfway point of the novel, the synopsis gives away a detail that, if you were to read the book knowing, you would not receive the full emotional trauma experience.

With that note, onto...

The Review! *applause*

First of all, I will start out by saying that I am very excited to be a part of the book tour for this series, because I fell in love with the novel from page one. It is an absolutely stunning adventure of a story and I could not have asked for more.

The story starts out with Sevy, a wonderfully sassy and tough sixteen year old orphan who is just trying to survive. Her voice is real, and she is very easy to connect to and you can really feel emotionally attached to her. On a few separate occasions, she meets Jarro, a kind but tough hunk-of-a-man. (Their interactions in the beginning are probably my favorite part. Heartwarming and hilarious, I could not get enough!) Sevy learns that Jarro is the head of a gang and eventually convinces him to let her join. (There is a lot more to the story, but if you remember what I said before, I don't want to ruin anything.)

However, this story takes place in an entirely new world that Lehoux creates. From the elegant upper class to the orphans on the streets, stealing from marketplaces, to elves and demons and magic, the setting just makes the story even more beautiful.

The novel also takes place in different time spans, with eight years passing between the first and second part and two years passing between the second and the third. I felt that this really adds to the reading experience. Personally, I felt as if I lived through all of the days in the story, and really got emotionally attached to it. (Which may have evoked some yelling and tears, but hey. That's a beautiful thing. As long as you are in the comfort of your own bedroom.) I fell deep into Sevy's world, and I cannot say I want to get out anytime soon.

Different characters string together the plots of the story, adding up to one beautiful masterpiece. I'm sure you will fall in love with Thief, as I did. I am very excited to continue with the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment