Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Review: Legend by Marie Lu

Synopsis: 
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic’s wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic’s highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country’s most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem.

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths—until the day June’s brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family’s survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias’s death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.

Full of nonstop action, suspense, and romance, this novel is sure to move readers as much as it thrills.


My Review:
Before I read Legend, I had heard a lot of excellent things about it, and although I did not make a big effort to read it immediately, I kept the title in the back of my mind. Then, of course, I found myself at a bookstore with a little over ten dollars, and the rest is history.

There are a lot of books that have a bunch of people saying how great and wonderful they are, but when you finally get around to reading it...it just isn't that good.

Legend is not one of those books.

I would say I fell in love reading the first word, but I actually fell in love before that. First of all, I love the cover. I am more of a less-is-more kind of girl when it comes to book covers, and I think they did a beautiful job on this one. Even the font of the book is beautiful. The differences in Day and June's sections make it more clear who the narrator is (not that you would have trouble with it, but still). Not to mention, it looks awesome!

Legend is fast-paced, action-packed, exciting, and overall an excellent read. Both Day and June are great characters and narrators, and you can find yourself easily relating to - and definitely caring about - both of them. I could not put this book down, and probably spent the whole afternoon reading, but it was worth it. (Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time, after all.)

Fans of dystopia, action, adventure, and awesome books in general should definitely read Legend. You will not be disappointed.   

No comments:

Post a Comment